- Tel.: (+351) 21 414 9134
Pedro J. TeixeiraResearch Group Director
1. ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
· 2010 - Full Professor, Department of Sports and Health, Faculty of Human Kinetics, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
· 2001 - 2010 Assistant Professor, Faculty of Human Kinetics, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
· 2001 - 2003 Research Associate, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
· 1997 - 2001 Graduate Research Assistant, Body Composition Laboratory, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
· 1995 - 1997 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Exercise Science and Physical Education, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
· 1993 - 2001 Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Exercise and Health, Faculty of Human Kinetics, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
· Faculty of Human Kinetics, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal – Tenure/Agregação (2008) in Obesity and Weight Control – Exercise and Health.
· University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona – Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) (2001) – Nutritional Sciences
· Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona – Masters of Science (M.S.) (1997) – Exercise and Wellness
· Faculty of Human Kinetics, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal – Bachelors of Science (B.S.) (1993) – Exercise Science and Physical Education
3. KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
NOHOW: Evidence-based ICT Tools for Weight Loss Maintenance
European Commission H2020-PHC-2014 SEP-210140063; 4.949.337€ (FMH: 697.550€)
Principal Investigator: Berit Heitmann, Ph.D.
EUROFIT: Social Innovation to Improve Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Through Elite European Football Clubs: European Fans in Training
European Commission FP7-HEALTH.2013.3.3-1-GA602170; 5.957.168€ (FMH: 741.517€)
Principal Investigator: Sally Wyke, Ph.D.
IAN-AF: The National Food, Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey
EEA-Grants Program - Public Health Initiatives; 835.357,47€
Principal Investigator: Carla Lopes, Ph.D.
An Open-Access Repository of Self-Regulation Measures for Exercise, Eating, and Weight Control
FCT / Portuguese Government, Science and Technology Foundation PTDC/DES/122395/2010; 98.684€
Principal Investigator: Pedro J. Teixeira, Ph.D.
The Portuguese National Weight Control Registry: The Role of Physical Activity in Weight Loss and Weight Loss Maintenance
FCT / Portuguese Government, Science and Technology Foundation PTDC/DES/72317/2006, 2008-2011; 119.400€
Principal Investigator: Pedro J. Teixeira, Ph.D.
SPOTLIGHT: Sustainable Prevention of Obesity Through Integrated Strategies
European Commission FP7-HEALTH-2011-GA278186-1-2010; 2.997.658€ (FMH: 174.834€)
Principal Investigator: Johannes Brug, Ph.D.
MEMO INTERNACIONAL: Mediating and Moderating Variable Analysis in Energy Balance Behaviours Change Interventions - An International Collaboration
European Commission (Marie Curie Action), FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IRSES-CT-2010-247630, 2010-2012; 57.600€
Coordinator: Saskia de Velde, Ph.D.
EUROBESE: Ethics and the Obesity and Overweight Epidemic: Image, Culture, Technologies and Interventions
European Commission FP6 SAS6-CT-2005-016646, 2005-2009; 800.000€
Principal Investigator: Inez de Beaufort, Ph.D.
Physical Activity and the Self-regulation of Eating Behavior and Body Weight
FCT / Portuguese Government, Science and Technology Foundation PTDC/DES/114867/2009; 103.000€
Principal Investigator: Pedro J. Teixeira, Ph.D.
The PILOT Study: Profile-based, Internet-Linked Obesity Trial
NIH, National Institutes for Health (R01 DK57453). 1999-2001; USD $537.977
Principal Investigator: Scott B. Going, Ph.D.
Citations / Scientific Output (as of October 2019)
ISI Web of Science (Scopus) H Factor: 42 (5854 citations)
Google Scholar H Factor: 49 (10932 citations)
ResearchGate Score: 40.61 | h-index: 44
Selected Book Chapters
- Teixeira, P. J., Carraça, E. V., & Mackenbach, J. D. (2019). Internal and external predictors of engaging in and adhering to physical activity. In M. H. Anshel, S. J. Petruzzello, & E. E. Labbé (Eds.), APA handbooks in psychology series. APA handbook of sport and exercise psychology, Vol. 2. Exercise psychology (pp. 271-289). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association. DOI: 10.1037/0000124-014
Patrick, H., Resnicow, K., Williams, G.C. & Teixeira, P.J. (2013). Communication skills to elicit physical activity: How to talk to clients. In Nigg, C.R. (Ed.). ACSM’s Behavioral Aspects of Exercise (pp.129-152). USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, US.
Silva, M.N. & Teixeira, P.J. (2013). Promotion of and adherence to physical activity. In Mooren, F.C., Skinner, J.S. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Exercise Medicine in Health and Disease (pp.727-731). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
Carraça, E.V., Silva, M.N. & Teixeira, P.J. (2013). Body image investment and self-regulation of weight control behaviors. In Sams, L.B., Keels, J.A. (Eds). Handbook on Body Image: Gender Differences, Sociocultural Influences and Health Implications (pp.257-276). New York: Science Publishers, Inc.
Teixeira, P.J., Stubbs, R.J., King, N.A., Whybrow & S., Blundell, J. (2011). Obesity. In Saxton, J. (Ed.). Exercise and Chronic Disease: an Evidence-Based Approach (pp.297-321). London: Routledge.
Williams, G., Teixeira, P.J., Carraça, E.V. & Resnicow, K. (2011). Physical wellness, health care, and personal autonomy. In Chirkov, V.I., Ryan, R.M., Sheldon, K.M. (Eds.). Personal Autonomy in Cultural Contexts: Global Perspectives on The Psychology of Agency, Freedom, and People's Well-Being (pp.133-162). USA: Springer.
Special Issues (Coordination / Editorship)
Teixeira, P.J., Mata, J, Wiiliams, G.C., Gorin, A.A. & Lemieux, S. (Editors) (2012). Self-regulation, motivation, and psychosocial factors in weight management. Special Issue, Journal of Obesity. DOI: 10.1155/2012/582348
Teixeira, P.J. (Coordinator) (2012). Self-determination theory and motivational interviewing in behavioral nutrition, physical activity, and health. Special Series, International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity.
- Wyke, S., Bunn, C., Andersen, E., Silva, M. N., van Nassau, F., McSkimming, P., et al. (2019). The effect of a programme to improve men’s sedentary time and physical activity: The European Fans in Training (EuroFIT) randomised controlled trial. PLoS Medicine, 16(2), e1002736. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002736
Teixeira, P. J., Marques, A., Lopes, C., Sardinha, L. B., & Mota, J. A. (2019). Prevalence and Preferences of Self-Reported Physical Activity and Nonsedentary Behaviors in Portuguese Adults. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 16(4), 251–258. DOI: 10.1123/jpah.2018-0340
Evans, E. H., Sainsbury, K., Marques, M. M., Santos, I., Pedersen, S., Lähteenmäki, L., et al. (2019). Prevalence and predictors of weight loss maintenance: a retrospective population-based survey of European adults with overweight and obesity. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics: The Official Journal of the British Dietetic Association. DOI: 10.1111/jhn.12666
Carraça, E.V., Santos, I., Mata, J. & Teixeira, P.J. (2018). Psychosocial Pretreatment Predictors of Weight Control: A Systematic Review Update. Obesity Facts, 11:67-82. DOI: 10.1159/000485838
Teixeira, P.J. & Marques, M. (2017). Health behavior change for obesity management. Obesity Facts, 10:666-673. DOI: 10.1159/000484933
Santos, I., Sniehotta, F., Marques, M., Carraça, E.V. & Teixeira, P.J. (2017). Prevalence and correlates of non-surgical weight control attempts in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews, 18:32-50. DOI: 10.1111/obr.12466
Silva, M.N., Sánchez-Oliva, D., Brunet, J., Williams, G.C., Teixeira, P.J. & Palmeira, A.L. (2017). "What goes around comes around": Antecedents, mediators, and consequences of controlling vs. need-supportive motivational strategies used by exercise professionals. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 51:707-717. DOI: 10.1007/s12160-017-9894-0
Resnicow, K., Teixeira, P.J. & Williams, G.C. (2017). Efficient allocation of public health and behavior change resources: The "Difficulty by motivation" Matrix, American Journal of Public Health, 107(1):55-57(Editorial). DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2016.303526
Teixeira, P.J. (2016). Health behavior change: A field just picking up speed. A comment on Ogden (2016). Health Psychology Review. DOI: 10.1080/17437199.2016.1183507.
Mullen, S.P., Silva, M.N., Teixeira, P.J. (2016). Initial validation of the Activity Choice Index among overweight women. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. DOI: 10.1080/02701367.2016.1152349
Teixeira P.J., Carraça E.V., Marques M., Rutter H., Oppert J.-M., De Bourdeaudhuij I., Lakerveld J. & Brug J. (2015). Successful behavior change in obesity interventions in adults: A systematic review of self-regulation mediators. BMC Medicine, 13(1):84. DOI: 10.1186/s12916-015-0323-6
Teixeira, P.J., Mata, J., Williams, G.C., Gorin, A.A., Lemieux, S. (2012). Self-regulation, motivation, and psychosocial factors in weight management. Journal of Obesity, (Editorial). DOI: 10.1155/2012/582348
Teixeira, P.J., Carraça, E.V., Markland, D.M., Silva M.N., Ryan, R.M. (2012). Exercise, physical activity, and self-determination theory: A systematic review. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 9:78. DOI: 10.1186/1479-5868-9-78
- Teixeira, P.J., Silva, M.N., Mata, J., Palmeira, A.L., Markland, D.M. (2012). Motivation, self-determination, and long-term weight control. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity,9:22.
Teixeira, P.J., Palmeira, A.L., Vansteenkiste, M. (2012). The role of self-determination theory and motivational interviewing in behavioral nutrition, physical activity, and health: An introduction to the IJBNPA special series. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 9:17.
Teixeira, P.J., Patrick, H., Mata, J. (2011). Why we eat what we eat: The role of autonomous motivation in eating behavior regulation. Nutrition Bulletin, 36:102-107. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-3010.2010.01876.x
Teixeira, P.J., Going, S.B., Sardinha, L.B., Lohman, T.G. (2005). A review of psychosocial pretreatment predictors of weight control. Obesity Reviews, 6:43-65. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2005.00166.x
Teixeira, P.J., Going, S.B., Houtkooper, L.B., Cussler, E.C., Metcalfe, L.L., Blew, R.M., Sardinha, L.B., Lohman, T.G. (2004). Pretreatment predictors of attrition and successful weight management in women. International Journal of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders, 28:1124-1133. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ijo.0802727
5. PROFESSIONAL, EDITORIAL AND ACADEMIC FUNCTIONS
· Directorate-General of Health (Portuguese Health Ministry), Director of the National Physical Activity Promotion Program (2016-2019)
· International Society of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity 2015 Conference, Scientific Committee Chair (2015)
· Theories and Techniques of Behaviour Change Project, International Advisory Board Member (2014-2019)
· University of Lisbon, Faculty of Human Kinetics, Ethics Council for Research, President (2012-2018)
· International Society of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity, Exec. Committee Member (2004-2008); President (2013-2014)
· Portuguese Society for the Study of Obesity, Vice-President (2009-2012)
· Obesity Facts, Associate Editor (2012-2018)
· Psychology of Sports and Exercise, Editorial Board Member (2015-2018)
· International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, Editorial Board Member (2005-2019)
· Journal of Behavioral Medicine, Editorial Board Member (2012-2018)
· Annals of Behavioral Medicine, Editorial Board Member (2014-2018)
· Archives of Exercise in Health and Disease, Editorial Board Member (2011-2018)
· Nutrícias Journal, Member of Scientific Council (2013-2018)
· Platform Against Obesity (National Health Ministry), Consultant (2008-2012)
· National Program to Fight Against Obesity – Portugal, Expert Panel Member (2006-2008)
6. AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
· Research Merit Award in the Sport Sciences (University of Lisbon – Santander Annual Award 2017)
. Catharina Pijls / NUTRIM 2009 Lecture Award (Maastricht University, The Netherlands)
· Investigator of the Year 2008 in the Sport Sciences (Technical University of Lisbon – Santander Totta Annual Award)